Articles and Advice
Spring is just around the corner, and it's time for annual spring cleaning-those important home organizing and freshening tasks. A clean, organized, and fresh-looking family living space is important for a number of reasons:
- Health and safety-Children's health can be compromised when toys and surfaces are not clean, sanitized, and organized. Although clutter doesn't seem dangerous, a disorganized home with stacks of unused toys and materials presents a variety of risks, including trips, falls, and falling objects.
- Modeling-Children learn important skills by observing adults and noting what is important to them. When you demonstrate that your home's cleanliness and orderliness is important to you, it becomes important to your children. They learn to care for their home and play spaces by watching you and working alongside you.
- Care and concern-When you show pride in your home's appearance, you demonstrate your caring and commitment to your family's well-being.
- Time-Organizing your home will make everyone's life easier and more enjoyable. When there is a place for everything and everything is in its place, everyone can find what they need quickly and easily, avoiding frustration and stress.
Tips for a "clean sweep"
- Take a hard look at things you haven't used in the last month or two. Check deep inside cupboards, closets, and storage units to clear out old clothes and toys that your children have outgrown. If they haven't used it in the last couple of months, you may not need to keep it. Donate your discards to charity so that other families can reuse your items.
- Check hiding places and eyesores. Eliminate clutter that has found its way onto countertops, corners of closets or bathrooms, or any other out-of-the-way spaces. Although stacking items in these spots might not use up your valuable floor space, it does create visual chaos and a general disorganized atmosphere which can create stress.
- Plan and implement cleaning tasks that can be easily done in warmer weather. Look for times to scrub children's furniture, clean toys, wash rugs and curtains, wipe out windowsills, etc. Give your children a clean slate for spring!
« Back to Articles